STONEWARE OF THE GREATER CAPE GIRARDEAU REGION
COMMERCE, COMMERCE LANDING, SANTA FE, ANNA, MOUND CITY
Articles and photography by Greg Mathis
Type your paragraph here.
THE COLLECTORS OF ILLINOIS POTTERY & STONEWARE
One hundred thirty miles south of St. Louis, Missouri, on the Mississippi River is the historic settlement of Commerce, Missouri. Directly across the Mississippi River from Commerce was established the town site of McElmurry's Station that was built prior to 1783 by John McElmurry and the Flannery family. Logistically located near Commerce and the Mississippi River, the settlement soon became known as Commerce Landing, Illinois. This southeast quarter of Section 34, Township 15 south, Range 3 west, of Alexander County, Illinois, was of the earliest settlements in Alexander County. By an act of March 26, 1804, the land office at Kaskaskia validated the claims of John McElmurry, Joseph Standlee, and of Abraham, Joshua and Thomas Flannary to the Spanish French Surveys of this ground and their land claims were legally registered. (History Of Alexander, Union And Pulaski Counties, Illinois, William Henry Perrin, 1883, Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co.). Commerce Landing officially became named Santa Fe, Illinois. The first post office was established at Santa Fe in 1838. In July of 1906, the Miami Powder Company requested that the town name of Santa Fe be changed to honor A. O. Fay, the owner of the important Miami Powder Company that had died that year. Thus, the old town of Santa Fe in Alexander County became known as Fayville.